cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:37:23 -0500 (EST)

Peter Brink said:
> The aim of a CC license is to create a way for creators to allow others
> to reuse their works in a safe way.

As for the "aim of a CC license", I've already been informed
to not make any such claims as to their aim or intent.
CC creates licenses and people use them however they wish
to use them.

So, perhaps, if CC can figure out a way to make it an
option for people to surrender their Moral Rights to
a work, then they ought to make it a license option
along with all the other alphabet soup.

Then if some project decides that Moral Rights could
be problematic for them (true or not it would be
their decision), then they could require all contributers
to license their contributions CC-MW (Moral rights Waived).

I don't see market economy licenses having a problem
with the author keeping moral rights because no one
is going to do any major derivations on the work.

But gift economy licenses could possibly benefit
from having that waiver as an option for contributions.