cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Schroeder <alex AT gnu.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:09:00 +0200

Mike Linksvayer schrieb:

How is it actually decided what constitutes damage to reputation and was does not (e.g., in Switzerland)? Anything the author decides they don't like? A legislated standard with a list of reputation-damaging associations, presumably including nazism? Up to a judge's discretion based on their intepretation of current social norms?

Not being a lawyer I don't know any cases I could cite. I assume that it is up to the court to decide. The law itself certainly doesn't list anything specific:

"Selbst wenn eine Drittperson vertraglich oder gesetzlich befugt ist, das Werk zu ändern oder es zur Schaffung eines Werkes zweiter Hand zu verwenden, kann sich der Urheber oder die Urheberin jeder Entstellung des Werks widersetzen, die ihn oder sie in der Persönlichkeit verletzt." -- Art 11 Ziff 2 URG, http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/231_1/a11.html

"In der Persönlichkeit verletzten" would translate to "hurt in his or her personality" -- whatever that means exactly.

There's a list of definitions on this page: http://www.finanztip.de/recht/online/haftung-1.html (also all in German). It goes into the differences between true statements, opinions, slander, honor. Some of what they write is this:

- You are protected against true statements if all they intend is to publicly expose things about a person. The example given is to list the crimes somebody has committed (in public). You are also protected against true statements revealing your secrets if you have reasons to keep them secret. No example is given.

- You are protected against untrue statements in some cases even if they are not considered slander. The example given is to twist somebody's words by misinterpreting a citation that is not a word-by-word citation of what you said. You can protect yourself against this by indicating that you are attempting an interpretation.

- You are protected against distortions, ie. one-sided or incomplete reporting. The example given is a report about some suspicion in a court case. You have to report the points of view in defense of the subject.

It is quite frustrating for me to try and translate legal terms from German to English. :-(

Alex.