cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:49:10 -0500

On Fri, 2005-25-03 at 09:07 -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> Moral rights cases are relatively (relative to Europe) common in Sweden.
> Some examples: [...]

And if I had commissioned her to paint a mural on my building and subsequently
a porn theatre had moved in next door. If she brought the suit and won, would
I have to destroy my artwork that I had paid her for, or would the porn
theatre be forced to move?
So, are you arguing that moral rights do not exist in European copyright law, or that they're wrong-headed? If you win this argument and bend your opponent to your will, do you think moral rights in European copyright law are going to go away, or what?

Unless this is going to stay focused on the retention of moral rights in CC licenses, I strongly suggest that this conversation move to cc-community.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca