cc-licenses - Re: Points raised on debian-legal

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Points raised on debian-legal
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:57:18 -0500

Ben Francis wrote:

> I'm very keen to license works under a CC license in the future, but am
> reluctant to do so until the license gets the seal of approval from the
> people at Debian because I trust them with such matters. Releasing works
> under a license considered "broken" is (to me) polluting free culture.
> I'd like my creative works to have as many freedoms as the Free Software
> I use and to be distributable along with the software, with these
> freedoms intact.

I felt much like that, as did other people in my team. So last week I went to
Debian-legal and started looking for options. After a few days of intense
discussion, we sort of settled on a dual license: GPL/BY

In particular, this is the copyright notice I'll be using:

This document is Copyright 2004 by its contributors as defined in the
section titled Authors. You can distribute it and/or modify it under the
terms of either the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), or the Creative Commons Attribution
License, version 2.0 or later (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/).

Notice:

1) The presence of the GPL makes it DFSG-free.
2) The "or later" allows me to switch to BY-2.1 when it comes out.
3) The BY allows me to circunvent the #1 reason why you might not want to use
the GPL for written text: providing sources.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals

My plan is that non-editable copies (like paper versions or PDFs) will be BY
license only. This is allowed if the original sources are GPL/BY. People who
want the sources can always go to my website and grab them under the GPL/BY.

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |