cc-licenses - Re: Points raised on debian-legal

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Francis <lists AT hippygeek.co.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Points raised on debian-legal
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:44:05 +0000

Evan Prodromou wrote:

On Sun, 2005-13-03 at 12:00 +0200, Henri Sivonen wrote:

Was there any follow-up from the CC side? Are the BY and BY-SA licenses going to be fixed (assuming CC agrees there are bugs)? I searched the list archives but did not find anything definitive.

Yes, Creative Commons followed up with me and other Debian project members. We're going to try to go over the Debian issues with by and by-sa.

That's fantastic news! Please do keep us up to date on progress.

Just to confirm. Are CC now making serious efforts to make the by and by-sa licenses DFSG-free? How will this happen if it proves agreeable, in a future version? Perhaps a version 2.1? How soon are these changes likely to happen?

I'm very keen to license works under a CC license in the future, but am reluctant to do so until the license gets the seal of approval from the people at Debian because I trust them with such matters. Releasing works under a license considered "broken" is (to me) polluting free culture. I'd like my creative works to have as many freedoms as the Free Software I use and to be distributable along with the software, with these freedoms intact.

Thanks very much for your work on this.

--
Ben "tola" Francis http://hippygeek.co.uk
COMPUTER SUPPORT for small businesses and home users