cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam AT codegnome.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:18:26 -0800

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:02:35AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:

> As an aside, if I license a work, CC BY-NC, what licenses can be put
> on derivatives? CC BY-NC and CC BY-NC-ND?

No, ANY license can be applied to a derivative of a BY-NC, as long as it
retains attribution to the original author--and maybe even not that. I
looked at the full text this morning, and am unsure that derivatives of
derivatives require attribution to the original (first generation)
author. Maybe someone else can clarify that aspect.

I'm also a little confused by the phrase "You may not sublicense the
Work." As far as I understand the license, there's nothing stopping
derivative of a non-SA license from being relicensed BY, BY-SA, BY-NC,
BY-ND, or some other combination as desired. As I read it, as long as
you don't "sublicense" (relicense?) the *original* work, you can do what
you like with subsequent licensing options.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/