cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:47:51 -0500

On Sunday 06 March 2005 03:40 pm, Greg London wrote:
> Rob Myers said:
> > On 6 Mar 2005, at 04:12, Greg London wrote:
> >> I'd be fine with something like "CC-NC-FAN".
> >> Or "FC" for Fan Club, or whatever.
> >> At least it would be an honest description.
> >
> > The licenses are modular. SA just means the other terms of the license
> > must be re-applied to derived works. I don't think this is any kind of
> > misrepresentation.
>
> But the name "ShareAlike" has natural connotations
> that conflict with how NC-SA really works.

I think some of us are finally getting a hang on what your "real" issue with
this license/terminology is. Do you think we are getting it?

> It is yet another "free as in free speech not free beer"
> problem. Rather than exacerbate the problem, CC could
> choose a name that actually fits what NC-SA does.
>
> Rather than having people go,
> "Ooh, look free steak knives. Wait, no, not really."
> how about use a name that doesn't have natural
> connotations that conflict with reality?
>
> "Ooh, share and share alike. Wait, no, not really"
> "Oooh, Free Software. Wait, no, not really."

Unfortunately, in english, I don't know if we can solve the problem with the
double meaning of the word free. I don't think they have the problem in other
languages. I think we can try and educate better by pointing out that the
phrase you have a problem with is meant to be a hint as to a different
meaning for the word free and is not meant to be an analogy as we have
discussed in the past.

> Do we really want to create yet another double-meaning
> for words used to describe licenses?

If we can avoid another double meaning, it may be a good thing. I have never
heard a suggestion for the first instance (Free) that doesn't have its own
problems though.

> "ShareAlike actually means share and share alike for
> everyone but the original author.

Are you sure you worded this next bit right? Shouldn't you drop the unless?
Replace unless with when?

> Unless ShareAlike
> is used with no other license restrictiosn, then
> it really means Share and Share Alike."
>

> I guess we'd rather use "free" and "share" and other hip
> and cool words even if we have to put footnotes
> at the bottom to describe what they really mean.

Do you have a better word than free in mind?