cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:34:48 +0100

On 31 Jan 2005, at 22:51, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> MM Robinson wrote:

> > I'm an artist working on a project concerned with copyrights and I
> > have a question that was not covered in the FAQ. If I use a public
> > domain dedication, does that make the material "uncopyrightable"? In
> > other words, can someone else legally copyright material that I, as
> > the creator, dedicate to the public domain?
>
> As I understand it, the answer is no: what others can do is build on
> the work and retain (talking from the perspective of citizens of
> countries that ratify the Bern treaty) the copyright for their
> additional elements. Depending on the kind of work this is, of
> course, the PD portion in the derivative can be extracted and used
> freely.
>
> So, if I make a copy of the Mona Lisa and add in an image of a new
> deluxe automobile in the background, someone else can deal with the
> rest of the untouched image as they would any other work in the public
> domain.

Famous examples (at least over here in the Netherlands) are companies
making their own versions of some Disney cartoons, namely of the
Disney cartoons that are derived from public domain stories
(Snowwhite, The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, et cetera). As long as
they base their versions on the public domain part of the stories,
they are in the clear.

A technical problem with "extracting the public domain part" would
seem to be that you need to know the public domain part fairly well
to make a correct judgement on what the public domain part is. Of
course, if you know the public domain part well enough (say, you have
a reproduction of the Mona Lisa before you), there's no need to work
from the derivative in the first place.

Also, it doesn't protect you (the later user, not the creator) from
claims by publishers who believe they somehow own the public domain
work to begin with. There are several recent examples that have come
to light: a fake attorney claiming to own Max Havelaar in the
Netherlands, which has been PD for quite some time, the estate of
Margaret Mitchell claiming to have a copyright on Gone with the Wind
in Australia, EMI Music's claim to the recording rights of the
Beatles' White Album and Ludlow Music's claim to Woody Guthrie's song
This Land Is My Land. And these are just cases that have come to the
surface.

Finally, a public domain dedication in the US may not be worth much
in the rest of the world. Parts of Europe (like Canada) collect
levies in exchange for the right to make private copies (downloading
MP3s is legal where I live). The collection agencies in charge of
this have shown mostly unwilling to respect public domain
dedications; they feel it is too much work. For those cases, a
copyleft may actually be more beneficial.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl