cc-licenses - copyleft and individual rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: copyleft and individual rights
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:46:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thursday 03 February 2005 08:40 am, Greg London wrote:

>> Copyleft IS the state. and it allows people to say anything
>> up to the point that it remains state property.
>
>No, Copyright is the state. Copyleft is a particular use of copyright. All
>rights reserved is a particular and the most common use of copyright. BSD is
>a particular use of copyright. Copyright is the state if that is correct
>terminology.

look, you have to avoid passive voice sentences because law
cannot be written in passive voice. You have to use active verbs.

Stop using the word "is" for everything.

If you DO say something in passive voice
you need to back it up with some sort of
active verb sentences to show it in action.

I said "Copyleft IS the state"
and then I backed it up by showing how
copyleft BEHAVES like the state.

copyleft grants rights up to, but just before,
the community is harmed. Copyleft acts like
the state saying "you can say what you want as
long as you don't say you want us out of office."