cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:43:38 -0500

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 05:36 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 04:14 pm, Greg London wrote:
> >>defaulting everything to share-alike, first of all, will have a lot
> >>of overhead due to the attribution requirements. Second of all,
> >>it prevents proprietary forks and disables the entire system meant
> >>to promote science and arts.
> >
> > True, I would prefer CC-SA, but I think that is actually no longer an
> > option. IIRC, there is some language to apply to have this result though.
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/ still exists and always
> will. You can use it if you want.

I know that and did not mean to imply differently, sorry if there was any
confusion. I do remember reading some discussion on why it was dropped from
2.x and how to possibly get around it though.

> However, you're talking about changing copyright law, a huge task
> compared to releasing CC-SA 5.0 or whatever. I don't think it makes any
> sense to constrain your thinking about potential default copyright rules
> to licenses that may be chosen directly from
> http://creativecommons.org/license/ .

People are constantly talking of changing copyright law. For instance,
bringing the durations back down to some sane time frame.

While we are talking about it, I would like to consider the effects on the
world if we make the default something like I suggested instead of default
public domain like it used to be or the current default all rights reserved.

So far, no one haas actually offered a thought on what these effects might
be.
I am interested in any thoughts anyone might have on this matter.

> Also, you should know that changing copyright law is very explicitly
> outside of the scope of Creative Commons. This is probably not the best
> forum for discussion of changing copyright defaults.

If this is the wrong forum, I will try and keep myself in line. I would
appreciate any ideas as to what would be a better forum?