cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:14:21 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> What if we push for a change in the copyright law? Something like this:
>
> " Unless otherwise stated, all works are automatically copyrighted under a
> Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license."

why not Public Domain instead of CC-BY-SA?

Copyright is meant to promote the progress of the arts and sciences
by allowing people to create new proprietary forks, get the exclusive
rights to those works, and make some money to pay for the time/energy
they used to create the work in the first place (plus some profit margin).

This part of the system isn't broken.

defaulting everything to share-alike, first of all, will have a lot
of overhead due to the attribution requirements. Second of all,
it prevents proprietary forks and disables the entire system meant
to promote science and arts.

The part that is broken in the system is the rights and durations.
Fix that, and you'll fix a LOT of problems.