cc-licenses - Re: public domain question (private forks and copleft)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question (private forks and copleft)
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:54:38 -0500

On Thursday 03 February 2005 08:40 am, Greg London wrote:

> Copyleft IS the state. and it allows people to say anything
> up to the point that it remains state property.

No, Copyright is the state. Copyleft is a particular use of copyright. All
rights reserved is a particular and the most common use of copyright. BSD is
a particular use of copyright. Copyright is the state if that is correct
terminology.

> Copyleft isn't about "freedom" or "rights"
> it is about building a COMMUNITY

Whatever, as far as I'm concerned, it is about my rights.

Was the long statement I cut out meant to suffice in place of answering some
of the questions I posed?

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to get to the point where I feel
I know where you are comming from and I fell you know where I am comming
from. So far, I don't think we are there.

And from Evan's post...

"This conversation has long since gone off-topic for this list. We have a
cc-community list just for this kind of philosophical discussion; please
use it.

~Evan"

Evan, I am happy to. Is it possible to do it and keep the flow going or will
we need to break off and start up fresh? I am ignorant on this.