cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:20:17 +0000
On 6 Dec 2004, at 19:57, Greg London wrote:

Maybe if the options were in the licenses,
the projects would pop into existence.

I think the lack of source is one of the things that has prevented such projects starting.

The trend in non-Free media does however seem to be towards providing source: movies now have lots of preparatory material on DVDs, CDs provide demos and remixes, I've even seen "directors cuts" of books recently. Now if that material was SA as well as PS...

Should there be a patent exclusion clause too?
Something that prohibits encryption and avoids any DMCA-leveraged
restrictions?

The licenses exclude that with the DRM clause.

I don't know the answer, but they seem to be valid questions.

Yes.

- Rob.