cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president AT freeroleplay.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:59:52 +0000

Greg London wrote:
I can see how "technological measures" would disallow stuff
like DRM and encryption (and may a patent?), but I don't
think it is a file format qualifies as
"a technological measures that control access or use of the Work"
just because no other program can read it.

Pete isn't preventing anyone from reading the file.
It isn't DRM. It's just that no one cared about Pete's program
enough to add Pete's format to their own software.

To put it another way: Obscurity is not a "control measure".

You can't penalize someone and prohibit the use of a file format
simply because it isn't popular.

This is the reason that I sincererly believe that a Transparency clause is important, for particularly when the above situation arises which is, as you indicate, not covered by the technology clause in all situations.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community