cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president AT freeroleplay.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:05:36 +0000

Greg London wrote:
Ricardo,

Your first message was somewhat hypothetical.

For example, would it be illegal to distribute the work in a proprietary
format that would, for example, require expensive software to edit? Does
the CCPL itself in anyway require a modifiable version be made
available, similar to the source code clause in the GPL?

The original question was asking if the part of the CCPL stating that "You may not distribute ... the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work" covers the publication of a work in a closed, non-editable or proprietary format.

I asked two other, related questions: should there be a new SA CCPL requirement that a modifiable version of a digitial work be provided, and should we further require that such a modifiable version be in an open format? Both requirements would be highly desirable from the perspective of the FRPGC.

Which has brought up all sorts of other variations of
hypothetical situations. I haven't been paying too close
attention to teh discussion, other than to notice it has
been covering all sorts of ground without making much progress.

I think we made some progress: see the summary of arguments in my last email.

Do you want to be able to distribute a work in a format
that requires the purchase of expensive software to edit?

See above.

Or do you want to prevent someone downstream from putting
the work into a proprietary format that requires expensive
software to edit?

I would both like to prevent downstream and upstream users from putting work into a proprietary format, specifically because it prohibits re-use by requiring down-stream users purchase expensive software, among other reasons.

If you could similarly clarify your objections perhaps we can make some further progress on this topic.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community