cc-licenses - Re: CC 2.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC 2.0
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:43:50 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
What bothers me is that the argument that was specifically about
creating _additional_ licenses seems to have been reinterpreted into
changing _all_ licenses. There is great value for publishers, users,
creators of derivative works, and, yes, even original authors
themselves in having the warranty section. Removing it for a minority
of creators who don't feel comfortable with asserting and warrantying
their right to publish makes the work of the rest of us less useful
and worthwhile.

Until last week on this list I don't recall ever hearing anyone voice support for in-license warranties. Their existence was people's #1 complaint. Coupled with the value in keeping the number of licenses small (and making choosing a license relatively simple), it seemed to make sense to remove the warranty section from all licenses.

Note that there is an opening in the 2.0 drafts for adding a warranty not specified in the license itself. Perhaps given the recent pro-warranty feedback we should offer such a warranty concurrently with offering the 2.0 licenses. I have a proposal on the cc-metadata list http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-metadata (see last month's archives, sorry for no specific link, I'm offline at the moment) for dealing with the metadata.

I realize my continual harping on this issue is probably pretty
annoying. I apologize for that.

Not at all. It would've been nice if you harped when others were harping on the opposite, but your feedback is valuable in any case.

Question: AFAIK none of the major open source licenses contain a CC1.0-like warranty clause. Is this a problem?

--
Mike Linksvayer