cc-licenses - Re: CC 2.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC 2.0
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:28:55 -0500

ML> Question: AFAIK none of the major open source licenses contain
ML> a CC1.0-like warranty clause. Is this a problem?

Are you _joking_? Absolutely.

SCO has been able to sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt amongst the
technical press and IT departments with claims of copyright violations
in Linux (under the GNU General Public License). They've got a plan to
extract license fees from Linux users.

Linux has code in it from hundreds of contributors. How is an end-user
supposed to make sure that all that code is copyright clean? Why
should each end-user have to do it?

HP and I believe now IBM offer indemnification to customers
for copyright violations in Linux... Can't recall, exactly.

More info here:

http://sco.iwethey.org/

Karsten Self is smart.

~ESP