cc-licenses - Re: CC 2.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC 2.0
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:09:54 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
ML> Question: AFAIK none of the major open source licenses contain
ML> a CC1.0-like warranty clause. Is this a problem?

Are you _joking_? Absolutely.

No, I'm not joking. I nearly threw in a SCO disclaimer, but thought better of it.

I admit I haven't followed the details closely, but I kind of doubt the presence of a warranty in the GPL would've discouraged SCO. They could still make bogus claims about code being incorrectly GPL'd. Maybe it would be harder to go after end users, easier to go after developers. I don't know if that's the right tradeoff at all.

Any other cases where a warranty in the GPL (or other free software license) might have helped? Free software has a long history now, SCO is a recent (and hopefully fleeting) event.

--
Mike Linksvayer