cc-it - [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)

cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussione delle licenze Creative Commons

  • From: Niels Vestergaard Jensen <nvj AT fys.ku.dk>
  • To: Implementation of EU Copyright Directive <eucd AT mikrolisten.de>
  • Cc: italy AT fsfeurope.org, Creative Commons Italia <cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org>, copywhat AT lists.perchetopi.org, softwarelibero AT softwarelibero.it
  • Subject: [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:52:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Andrea Glorioso wrote:

> nvj> I meant to point out the general risk that we'd be used for
> nvj> poster boys - that's in my opinion a very real risk. ("After
> nvj> consultation with consumer groups, experts and industry
> nvj> representatives the Digital Media Project today concluded
> nvj> that....")
>
> Well, I think it's a matter of stressing that we are NOT a part of the
> DMP.
>
> Your scenario is quite possible, but I'm not particularly interested
> in it. I mean, every day I see political decisions being taken with a
> foggy reference to not-well-specified "experts", "analysts" or
> whatever. We can't avoid the DMP or any other group refer to some
> unspecified "consumer group".
>
> What we can do is to very vocally let the DMP know what we think are
> "fair use" and "traditional" rights, which quite probably are much
> more rights than the DRM systems seeked by the content industry is
> able or planned to accomodate for. This way, we will sensibilize
> people on the perils of DRM systems as the industry wants them to be
> (by letting them know how many of their "fair use" or "traditional"
> rights could be lost, some of which I think "common people" are not
> even fully aware of) and, when/if the DMP or any other similar
> consortium will say «after consultation with consumer groups, experts
> and industry representatives» we will be able to speak up: «wait, we
> didn't say *that*, we said *this* and *this* is quite different from
> *that*».

Ok, no need to say much more - I think we agree. Specifically I think we
should stress the right of consumers to access "content" with whatever
software or hardware they like. It's much better for freedom and
competition that way. Before the digital computer it wasn't really
necessary to formulate this right explicitly, but IMHO it would be an
important achievement. We could market it as a "fair use right for the
next millenium" ;-)

best regards,

Niels