cc-it - [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)

cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussione delle licenze Creative Commons

  • From: Andrea Glorioso <sama AT perchetopi.org>
  • To: copywhat AT lists.perchetopi.org
  • Cc: italy AT fsfeurope.org, Niels Vestergaard Jensen <nvj AT fys.ku.dk>, Creative Commons Italia <cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Implementation of EU Copyright Directive <eucd AT mikrolisten.de>, softwarelibero AT softwarelibero.it
  • Subject: [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:10:53 +0100

nvj> [I have no idea of whether I can reply to all these lists -
nvj> feel free to forward]

[I deleted bruxelles03 AT l.p.o from the Cc: since it's an "organization
only" mailing list not intended for general discussion. To other
mailing lists owners: please notify if you think your mailing list is
not a suitable place for this thread]

nvj> Chariglione (IIRC former SDMI - infamous Felten dispute) has
nvj> already made up his mind, and I think we should rightfully
nvj> criticize him for that.

Sure. That's why we should talk to the DMP (which is not Leonardo
Chiariglione alone, as I already mentioned).

nvj> The work plan laid out clearly presupposes the conclusion
nvj> that DRM is the solution, the question is only how it can be
nvj> "interoperable" and "acceptable to end users". As if.

Although I don't like DRM as is being proposed by the industry (and,
to a lesser extent, by the Digital Media Project) I'm fairly convinced
that DRM proposals will go on, our ideas notwithstanding. I think
it's important that the industry (and the DMP, which is in a certain
sense representative of the industry, although a number of its
positions are much more sensible) knows that the "users" (and the
citizens) have a fairly broad concept of what constitutes a "fair use"
or "traditional" right.

Remaining silent in this occasion has the only effect that the DMP
(and the industry representatives which are a part of the DMP) will
have the opportunity to say "ok, nobody told us that this and this and
this right was important to you, so we implemented that and that and
that usage restriction".

Sure, they can ignore our positions no matter how loud we speak. But
for me it's important that nobody will be able to say, tomorrow, "we
offered you to discuss these issues and you didn't".

BTW, this has nothing to do with being the "poster boy" for
Chiariglione or the DMP (which I'm not a mamber of, although I follow
its mailing list).

bye,

andrea
--