cc-it - [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)

cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussione delle licenze Creative Commons

  • From: Andrea Glorioso <sama AT perchetopi.org>
  • To: Implementation of EU Copyright Directive <eucd AT mikrolisten.de>
  • Cc: italy AT fsfeurope.org, copywhat AT lists.perchetopi.org, Creative Commons Italia <cc-it AT lists.ibiblio.org>, softwarelibero AT softwarelibero.it
  • Subject: [Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:25:23 +0100

>> Sure, they can ignore our positions no matter how loud we
>> speak. But for me it's important that nobody will be able to
>> say, tomorrow, "we offered you to discuss these issues and you
>> didn't".

nvj> You're right. My point is that we should talk to them from
nvj> the outside, not from the inside. (At least I can't see how
nvj> we can join as members, when the conclusion is so clearly
nvj> written already).

Agreed - as for joining, you have to pay a fair amount of money -
which personally I don't want to pay, even if I was interested in
joining the DMP.

>> BTW, this has nothing to do with being the "poster boy" for
>> Chiariglione or the DMP (which I'm not a mamber of, although I
>> follow its mailing list).

nvj> I didn't intend to accuse you of being his poster boy - my
nvj> apologies if it was read that way.

I actually read it that way - but e-mail has got its shortcomings for
understanding each other. No apologies needed.

nvj> I meant to point out the general risk that we'd be used for
nvj> poster boys - that's in my opinion a very real risk. ("After
nvj> consultation with consumer groups, experts and industry
nvj> representatives the Digital Media Project today concluded
nvj> that....")

Well, I think it's a matter of stressing that we are NOT a part of the
DMP.

Your scenario is quite possible, but I'm not particularly interested
in it. I mean, every day I see political decisions being taken with a
foggy reference to not-well-specified "experts", "analysts" or
whatever. We can't avoid the DMP or any other group refer to some
unspecified "consumer group".

What we can do is to very vocally let the DMP know what we think are
"fair use" and "traditional" rights, which quite probably are much
more rights than the DRM systems seeked by the content industry is
able or planned to accomodate for. This way, we will sensibilize
people on the perils of DRM systems as the industry wants them to be
(by letting them know how many of their "fair use" or "traditional"
rights could be lost, some of which I think "common people" are not
even fully aware of) and, when/if the DMP or any other similar
consortium will say «after consultation with consumer groups, experts
and industry representatives» we will be able to speak up: «wait, we
didn't say *that*, we said *this* and *this* is quite different from
*that*».

cheers,

andrea
--
Cose semplici e banali per riconciliarmi con andrea glorioso
gli anni sprecati e dentro ci sei tu