cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] About the Practical Workshop on the Use of CC Materials

  • From: "Rebecca MacKinnon" <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Haggen So" <haggen_so AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] About the Practical Workshop on the Use of CC Materials
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:10:18 +0800

Thanks Haggen!! Yes it would be great for us to join the December party. I see it is scheduled for December 15th, same day as Barcamp Hong Kong. See: http://barcamp.org/BarCampHongKong
Maybe we should combine all three communities that evening? There is lots of overlap I think.

Rebecca

On 10/22/07, Haggen So < haggen_so AT yahoo.com> wrote:
First, the "official report" for the event can be found at:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E8%81%9A%E6%9C%83/2007%E9%A6%99%E6%B8%AF%E7%A7%8B%E8%81%9A%E6%9A%A8%E6%BE%B3%E9%96%80%E9%A6%96%E6%AC%A1%E8%81%9A%E6%9C%83

Let me briefly describe what impressed me most...  It was a successful
event that Wikipedians from Mainland, Macau and HK were all present in the
meeting.  We were very grateful that CT, an Open Source activitist and a
Macau University of Science and Technology lecturer, provided us all the
facilities we needed within a short notice.  I was also honored to witness
the first Macau Wikipedian meeting.

What I learnt from the meeting were how a local Wikipedia chapter worked
and the benefits of having one.  I remembered in the meeting some local
Macau Wikipedians were a bit reserved in the idea of a local chapter as
they did not know how much they could commit to the task.  Receiving some
more encouragement and seeing the possibility of applying for fundings
from the government, the Macau Wikipedians decided to start a local
chapter as well.  I hope that when we get the approval to setup a local CC
chapter, we should seek some fundings as well.

Another highlight was about GFW, the damage to the Mainland Wikipedia
community and the persistence of the Mainland Wikipedians.  I was aware of
GFW for awhile but never discussed it with the "victims" and learnt how
bad it really was.  It was very encouraging that the two Mainland
Wikipedians were still very committed.

I have to admit that though I did change some contents of Wikipedia before
(hopeful for the better), I was not registered.  After the trip I quickly
registered and added some content to the entry about my surname 'So'.  I
can now claim that I am a Wikipedian ^^

Oops, nearly forgotten.  I have to mention that Jerry told me the next big
event for the Wikipedians would be the 50 parties.  Jimmy Wales encourages
Wikipedians to invite CC and FSF people to party in at least 50 different
locations in December.  The HK page is
http://50parties.wikia.com/wiki/Hong_Kong .  We should participate and
help out.  Jerry also proposed a join HK-Macau party.

Haggen

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Jack Qiu wrote:

> I also like the idea. Yesterday Haggen and I were at the wikipedian
gathering in Macao. Looks like the wikipedians have started to develop
a pan-Pearl River Delta network with some strong basis in HK. There're
plenty of things we should learn from them. Haggen may have more to
share here as I had to leave at the end of the afternoon, so I didn't
go to their evening events.

Jack

Jack Linchuan Qiu, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor