cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] About the Practical Workshop on the Use of CC Materials

  • From: "Rebecca MacKinnon" <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Jack Qiu" <jacklqiu AT gmail.com>, "Chong Chan-yau" <chanyau AT hku.hk>, mklwong AT hkucc.hku.hk, cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] About the Practical Workshop on the Use of CC Materials
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:55:41 +0800

Oh one more quick thing: I wonder if maybe we should change the first sentence of the e-flyer to:

" Creative Commons licenses are copyright licenses that let you share your work easily with other people all over the world - by making it "some rights reserved" instead of "All Rights Reserved."  "

I thought that putting it in slightly more conversational language would appeal to students. Using "you" makes it more directly personal so that people understand straight away that this is something they can use - it's not just a legal theory lecture. Also, the fact that the license enables you to share your work with others would probably gain greater emphasis if we put it earlier in the sentence.

I'm one of those journalists who like to hit people over the head with the first sentence when possible :)   However if anybody thinks that this wording is not so good please suggest alternatives.