cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Horizon 20/20 open access / open data requirements

  • From: Ignasi Labastida i Juan <ilabastida AT ub.edu>
  • To: Gwen Franck <gwen AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Horizon 20/20 open access / open data requirements
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 21:21:07 +0100

Dear Gwen,
In Spain we have a National Law of Science establishing a Self archiving requirement not later than 12 months after publishing. The law appeared in June 2011 and researchers should follow it from December 2011. However it has never been applied in any project call until last month. We will see how researchers react and "behave" now
Best
Ignasi

El dia 17/12/2013 19:36, "Gwen Franck" <gwen AT creativecommons.org> va escriure:
Hi all,

just some random remarks (on behalf of OpenAIRE, i am quite deeply involved in all these matters). Of course you are all aware of this, but as these messages are being sent to the CC Europe list, I'd like to give a short lecture :)
It has been said earlier in this thread that some businesses and publishers (you know who I am talking about) profit from things being not very clear.

Open Access can be achieved through Open Access publishing, either in straight forward Open Access journals (that either charge 'article processing fees', or not) , or in so called 'hybrid' journals, that still charge subscription fees but allow Open Access for individual articles, upon payment of a fee. In this way, the published version of the article becomes free to read for everyone. In the ideal scenario, re-use rights are also granted (e.g. through licensing). This is also referred to as 'gold open access'
You can also make (a version of) the article Open Access by self-archiving it in a digital archive or repository (such as arxiv, but also most research institutions have one). Even articles that aren't Open Access in the published version, can be made Open Access in this way, because the majority of publishers (yes, also Elsevier), allow researchers to self-archive the final post peer review version of the article (= the final version without the publisher layout). Almost 80% of all publishers allow this (you can check for yourself on this useful site: http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/
However, there is a catch: some publishers only allow these versions to become Open Access after a certain amount of time (usually 6 to 12 months). (While no-one in the OA community is happy with this, sometimes this seems like a necessary compromise , hence the EC allowing embargoes within their OA policy, for example)
Elsevier is playing dirty in this matter: while they allow self-archiving when it's on the researchers initiative, they don't allow it when it happens within the scope of an OA mandate, unless the researchers' institution has gotten into an agreement with Elsevier (Ignasi, at Ghent University for example, we also have a mandate, but there isn't an agreement with Elsevier  ...)

In its new OA policies under Horizon 2020, the EC requests that all research articles are being deposited in a repository and are made Open Access as soon as possible. It's all summarized here: https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/sites/horizon2020/files/FactSheet_Open_Access.pdf

I have the impression that a lot of national policies are being prepared at moment, and I'd love to hear from you if you have any updates.

Greetz,
Gwen