cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>, cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] EDRI
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:58:58 +0200

Dear Gisle, and everyone else,

I'm very happy we're having this discussion. I need more time to think about what you wrote; I understand well the "neutral" stance of CC and am generally in favour of a balanced rather than radical approach to any reform, including copyright reform. But in reply to what you write below, I always understood that CC was, from the very start, a movement for copyright reform through voluntary tools based within the current law, in face of the inability of the founders of CC to cause a copyright reform.

I haven't seen a good "ideological" discussion on the goals of CC in a while, and it seems it is needed. Because for every artist you mention, where CC gains (possibly) credibility through a neutral stance (though to be honest, why "a room full of artists" would have a problem with CC's involvement against ACTA?), there's an org or person involved in the digital rights movement, which defines copyright as a key area for reform, and towards whom CC will have credibility only if it has a position on these issues.

Finally, CC headquarters were involved in anti-PIPA/SOPA activities in the US, which again suggests, that it would be good to have a clear policy on this, instead of what seem to be particular decisions.

Best,

Alek