bluesky - RE: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas AT worldos.com>
  • To: "Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:16:14 -0500

> On this basis,

...this is the right interpretation of what I mean by collision.

> the only way I see collisions occuring is from the highest level

I think that we're agreeing and using different language. Collisions are
caused
on the right, but are visible on the left. Once a collision happens (which
happens as you move left), there are now different parties serving a
namespace.
I'd add one refinement here, which is that collisions could die out if, e.g.,
the two different realnames providers agree on a mapping for .com.

> This was the suggestion made earlier, that we would just let people
> compete for TLDs and let the market decide. I gave reasons [1] why I
> thought this was a bad idea. I thought you were offering an alternative
> to this. Maybe I was mistaken and you had the same idea all along.
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/bluesky%40franklin.oit.unc.edu/msg00088.html

I read it. I agree that there are ambiguity, uncertainty and costs in doing
name lookups, and that is not ideal. Where I differ is that I think that the
question is not whether conflict is allowed but how to minimize the damage.
It's hard to believe that China, Libya and the US will always be able to
resolve
conflicts. At a certain size of the Internet you have to find ways to agree
disagree. So my suggestion re: bootstrapping a friendly name mapping service
is
intended to make the best of a bad situation, not to eliminate it, because I
don't think it can be eliminated.

- Lucas