bluesky - Re: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Oskar Sandberg <md98-osa AT nada.kth.se>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:32:22 +0100

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 12:22:53PM -0800, hal AT finney.org wrote:
<>
> One solution is to not have friendly-names for namespaces. In other words,
> TLDs would be hashes. You'd have www.microsoft.14fvXAVGDabPPWqhYzZV2IYeIPE.
> That last string would unambiguously designate a namespace resolver; there
> would be no disputes possible, and everyone would use the same resolver.
> The question is, can we get this level of clarity and security while keeping
> friendly names for the namespaces.

I don't think so. After all, a multilayered name can be viewed as relative
path along a graph. In order for two parties to follow such a path and end
up at the same point, they have to start at the same point. For them to
start at the same point, then they either need to go by convention, or the
absolute identity of the starting point has to be given.

Making the absolute value "nice" is (AFAIK) impossible with current PK
crypto - and probably will remain since a PK algo where the public values
are chosen and the private values are derived from them is impossible
(what is to stop a second party from choosing the same PK value). And even
if it wasn't impossible, it would make the whole layered name thing rather
pointless. So that leaves convention, and convention unavoidably means
both centralization of the service "root" and politics.

--
'DeCSS would be fine. Where is it?'
'Here,' Montag touched his head.

Oskar Sandberg