bluesky - RE: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:22:53 -0800

Lucas writes:
> My point here is to say that the need to see hashes instead of friendly
> names
> can be limited to setup time. After setup you are either specifying a
> namespace
> (based on a chain of trust built out from the root server you have picked)
> or
> using the implicit namespace of your root server. For example, your root
> server
> might only define four or five name/hash mappings.

I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding you. Would your system still
handle names like, say, www.microsoft.com? And your point is, that
in installing the .com name-server we would use a hash which securely
identifies that handler? I don't see how that solves the problem, which
is to figure which .com handler we should choose, and more to the point,
how to be sure that the .com handler you chose is the same one I use.

Or putting it another way, what do you do when two namespace resolvers
claim to handle the same namespace? It doesn't help us to have a secure
hash to the namespace resolver. That's not the hard part of the problem.

One solution is to not have friendly-names for namespaces. In other words,
TLDs would be hashes. You'd have www.microsoft.14fvXAVGDabPPWqhYzZV2IYeIPE.
That last string would unambiguously designate a namespace resolver; there
would be no disputes possible, and everyone would use the same resolver.
The question is, can we get this level of clarity and security while keeping
friendly names for the namespaces.

Hal