bluesky - RE: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas AT worldos.com>
  • To: "Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:21:15 -0500

> Would your system still
> handle names like, say, www.microsoft.com? And your point is, that
> in installing the .com name-server we would use a hash which securely
> identifies that handler? I don't see how that solves the problem, which
> is to figure which .com handler we should choose, and more to the point,
> how to be sure that the .com handler you chose is the same one I use.

I would add one more level of indirection, to a namespace provider that maps
the
name of the .com namespace provider to the hash of the .com namespace
provider.
I would eliminate semantic landgrabs for concepts like ".com" and give
namespace
providers proper names. So www.microsoft.com.realnames.myRootProvider is the
full path. myRootProvider is a hash/name mapping I entered manually,
realnames
is a hash/name mapping provided by myRootProvider, com is a mapping provided
by
realnames, etc.

As you move from right to left the likelyhood of a collision would go up.
myRootProvider must be canonical to the best of my ability to make it so.
realnames should be very dependable. com would be somewhat disputable.
microsoft would be fairly disputable.

The possibility of collisions is a good thing. For the most part there won't
be
collisions, because it's in everyone's interest to share most of this data.
But
if there are conflicts between namespace providers just let users vote with
their feet.

> One solution is to not have friendly-names for namespaces. In other words,
> TLDs would be hashes. You'd have www.microsoft.14fvXAVGDabPPWqhYzZV2IYeIPE.
> That last string would unambiguously designate a namespace resolver; there
> would be no disputes possible, and everyone would use the same resolver.

quite cool! Ok, so add another level of indirection to get
www.microsoft.com.realnames.14fvXAVGDabPPWqhYzZV2IYeIPE.

and we are on more or less the same turf, except that I would allow for
gradations of disputability.

- Lucas