bluesky - RE: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:44:50 -0800

Lucas writes:
> The bootstrap step you are referring to doesn't have to happen frequently.
> Let's say there would be a default namespace provider whose function is to
> map
> friendly names for namespace providers to hashes. This default namespace
> provider could be your ISP. On some level you would have to deal with the
> hash
> during setup, just like you have to deal with IP settings for a new ISP
> account.

What happens if my ISP and your ISP disagree about which namespace
provider gets a certain friendly-name, like .com or .biz? If this can't
happen, could you explain why? And how does each ISP keep up to date
with namespace changes, and decide which namespace provider to honor in
the case of disputed name spaces? Many ISPs can barely keep the modems
running - will they have the manpower to take on this task?

> The difference between this and DNS is that trust radiates outward from
> users,
> rather than inward from the Root Server in Reston.

Well, in a sense trust does radiate outward from users in the
DNS. The only reason the root servers have power is because of
millions of users whose computers consult them to resolve names.
See http://www.youcann.org/instructions.html for how to change your
computer to consult different roots. If enough people did this, the
current root servers would lose power.

Hal