bluesky - Re: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Don Marti <dmarti AT zgp.org>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:46:52 -0800

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:42:58AM -0800, hal AT finney.org wrote:

> It's going to be a dynamic process. That's how competition works.
> It seems likely that a substantial number of TLDs will be in flux at
> any given time. This will lead to ambiguity, uncertainty and costs in
> doing name lookups. I don't think this is an ideal solution.

A two-tier structure of both competitive and official TLDs would be
better than an ICANN-only one.

People who want to explore the wild and wooly domains can run a simple
caching nameserver at home; people who want to stick with ICANN and
any rogue TLDs that get well-established can use their ISP's name server.

--
Don Marti "I've never sent or received a GIF in my life."
dmarti AT zgp.org -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.