bluesky - Re: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:39:36 -0800

I wrote earlier:
> Mark Miller sent me a pointer to an idea of his that he had proposed
> in another context, http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/pnml.html.
> The idea of his "Pet Name Markup Language" (pnml) is that you pass around
> long, unambiguous names (such as hashes), but let the display software
> substitute short, user-assigned, local nicknames, somewhat similar to
> what is done in SDSI.

I want to clarify that "what is done in SDSI" is maintaining a database
associating local nicknames with keys. SDSI does not map back and
forth between nicknames and keys the way Mark proposes in the PNML.
That is a new and interesting idea which could be another approach to
the name mapping problem.

Hal