bluesky - Re: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Don Marti <dmarti AT zgp.org>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:09:14 -0800

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:05:31AM -0800, hal AT finney.org wrote:

> How would that work in a P2P model? If we did have competing name lookup
> services (using Wei's term from the three service model), would there
> have to be some global mechanism to make sure that no two services tried
> to handle the same addresses? Or would we accept that address to name
> mapping was inherently ambiguous? Or, perhaps, would TLDs have to have
> unfriendly unforgeable names?

All this bogus DNS stuff will get settled at the business level, not
the crypto level.

There are already sites that rate registrars. The services would just
have to add a column to their ratings chart with an estimate of what
percentage of the hosts on the net can resolve each registrar's domains.
(Data for this could be collected by putting small images, srced from
all the new domains, on popular pages.)

New registrars will presumably offer registrations at no charge to
build up a user base, and pay webmasters to make new-domain-only
content to encourage ISPs to recognize their TLDs. (For example, if you
run pornpornporn.com, a new registrar offering .xxx will _give_ you
pornpornporn.xxx and pay you to put free porn there that's not on your
original site.)

More popular registrars will get more registrations with more content,
thereby scooping up more ISPs -- positive reinforcement for the more
popular one that will make the less popular one get fewer registrations,
less content, and less demand. Competition won't be an issue.

--
Don Marti "I've never sent or received a GIF in my life."
dmarti AT zgp.org -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.