bluesky - Re: Naming via SDSI

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Naming via SDSI
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:42:58 -0800

Don Marti, <dmarti AT zgp.org>, writes:
> More popular registrars will get more registrations with more content,
> thereby scooping up more ISPs -- positive reinforcement for the more
> popular one that will make the less popular one get fewer registrations,
> less content, and less demand. Competition won't be an issue.

You are suggesting that the end result of a competitive process will be
that each new TLD is assigned to just one registrar (name lookup service).
Each one will have a de facto monopoly on that particular name.

It's possible that the results will approximate this state, but I don't
think it will be as clean as you suggest. New domains will spring up
all the time and there will be a battle over who gets to serve them.
Well established registrars may make "raids" on other registrars' domains
to try to establish themselves as alternatives for those TLDs. The same
thing can be accomplished by creating new domains: is it .xxx or .sex?
.vid or .tv? .snd or .mus? Registrars will spend money promoting new
alternative TLDs in the hopes that they will become popular and steal
business from other TLDs. There may also be truces between registrars
who agree to share a TLD and cooperate to make sure they don't assign
competing names. Then these truces will be broken sometimes.

It's going to be a dynamic process. That's how competition works.
It seems likely that a substantial number of TLDs will be in flux at
any given time. This will lead to ambiguity, uncertainty and costs in
doing name lookups. I don't think this is an ideal solution.

Hal