baslinux - Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:53:58 +0100

I am reviving this post because my computer has given me some strange
behavior lately, and I'm certain it's related to the NIC.

I still have 2 NICs. If I boot without insmodding the cnet driver,
everything works perfectly fine, and I have tested the computer for a
full day in this state and nothing happened.

When I insert the r8169 module, everything will work at first. There
is no abnormal behaviour, I can ping in and out. After some time,
though, usually around a minute or so (I suspect this depends on the
amount of traffic), I will no longer be able to use the NIC. No error
messages or anything, it just can't ping. It can still ping itself
though.

After another minute, the system will stop responding completely. I
can't ping it, my SSH will disconnect, and the screen will just
freeze. It does not accept input, ctrl-alt-del doesn't do a thing, and
I can't even turn numlock on or off.

This pattern repeats itself every time, and I can't find any relevant
log files. I am at a loss.