baslinux - Re: [BL] Problems with Links

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problems with Links
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:34:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Dear Baslin Fans.
I am using baslin for about one jear now, mostly in text-mode,
some times svga and, if realy nessesery, in X.
My PCs are in the range of 486 3.5MB ram up to P1 126MB ram.
I am using BL for browsing, hearing internetradio and for MUDs,
playing textgames in the net.
Some links on Keesans page seams to be broken, i can not reach David
Moberg anymore.

Sometimes I forget to make things readable by all (chmod a+r) after I upload them. Try again, or let me know what links are broken.
Or go to http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl for direct access to the files without first reading the description. cd to 2.4.31 for kernels and modules.

For the mudclient TinTin and for usb i need a 2.4 kernel. I am using
RTL8139 lancards on all my computers and cold not find a module in
Keesans 2.4.31 directory. I tried it with the 2.4.20-xfs kernel from

Most of the 2.4.31 modules are in modules-smf-431.tgz. I added some others individually when people requested them. mii and 8139too are in there.

DSL. It needs mii.o and 8139too.o for the net, but i did not get my
serial mouse to work. Does Keesans kernel start with loadlin?

To use a serial mouse in text mode you need gpm.tgz from Slackware 4 for BL3.5.

Loadlin is a program used to load linux from a DOS partition. It is used to load loop BL3.5. My 2.4.31 kernels don't work for me in loop BL3.
Everything is read-only. Please install to a hard drive partition
and also add a swap file or swap partition if you have little memory.

Most of the newer programms are for GLIBC225. I tried to download it,
but it was much to big for my loop. May be i got the wrong link.
You don't need the entire glibc. Download and install my package
operalib.tgz, which contains the important parts. Or make a hard drive
partition and install BL to that. If you plan to use X programs not included in BL3 or found at the BL3 site, I suggest BL2 instead.

It is also possible to enlarge your loop. Look in the archives for instructions. The loop is 20MB and can be made any size.
Installing to hard drive is easier. Do you have free space to make a linux partition?

Can you please tell me where to exactly download it from, or better, make
a new image with some of the aplications?

I think someone posted a larger loop image once. I am running out of space here. You need to redo fs.img using dd, I think.

I have several versions of BL on my compters. Some MUD-clients work
on one, others in an other version. I tried ldd, but it does not work.
Somethig else i can do?

Please explain 'does not work'. Does ldd program not list the required libraries for program?

There are some maps for my favorite game on
HTTPS://www.copete.de/marcopolo/Karten/Mittelerde.html . You can see,
that some lines are not shown correctly. This is in Text and X
(800x600) . In SVGA i can see nothing, that makes sence (wrong charset?).

Using links2-2-bl2 that I compiled for glibc 2.2.5, in svgalib mode, I see a map which is bigger than my screen (I must scroll) with X O M etc on it.
Green white and yellow. What do you expect to see?

In text mode (1024 - I am already booted to that with framebuffer so cannot change) I see the same letters in white on black background, some empty spaces, and some numbered links with German words.

Steven's links2 requires X. The default X font which he supplies does not do extended ASCII but you can change that. Which version of Links2 are you using in svgalib mode?

I am using 4 versions of links now. Perhaps someone can please build a links
with SSL that is abel to work with all grafics.

Which versions are you using? Where did you get them?
Mine require glibc 2.2.5.
Steven's links123 works in text mode, and his links2 works with BL3.5 in X
with libc5.

Some streaming medias can be shown with the mplayer directly, how can i
tell this to links? I tried it with configertion and clipboard, but
nothing works.

Links, ESC, Setup, Associations and File Extensions. This is not easy to understand.

I suggest that you copy /root/.links/links.cfg to links.cfg-backup

Then download and try the links.cfg posted at my site. It includes mplayer and some other programs (zgv, drvmidi, msmtp) you probably don't have. Or just look at mine and edit yours to match the parts with mplayer. Add the lines with mplayer in them and the lines with extension to the end of your links.cfg (after making a backup).

It is for links2 but will work with links1 (and complain about some things but it still works).

Sorry for my bad english.
Thank you for bl and all the time you spend to it.
Werner