baslinux - Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:32:28 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

Message from Steven
===================
Is access via X more secure than running dropbear (ssh server)?

No, ssh is more secure.

I don't know how to run X via ssh.

Can I restrict logins to X server to only one IP number?

To make backspace work in X one can add to .xinitrc
xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"

(See archive discussion for BL1.8, in which Steven says his backspaces all work without that but others of us are not that lucky).

But the thin client method does not use .xinitrc or xinit.
Type the keycode line in an rxvt on the server if you have a wm.
Or use a script called startxs (start X on server):

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0
icewm & xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = BackSpace" &

At 640 res, opera would have more space without the wm.
I cannot get this to work with opera & instead of icewm &
either before or after xmodmap. Help please.

startxt on the client
exec X -ac
(use X instead of Xvesa, which does not work right)

startxt is run first, either by booting the client first with the script in an rc (full path to it) or by first establishing a console connection (telnet, ssh) so as to use the client keyboard to run startxs since the server keyboard is not working.

How can I type : and ; in linux analogously to Alt-58 Alt-59 in DOS?