baslinux - Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:53:38 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Is it possible to use this computer with one or more
laptops as (X) terminal(s)?

Yes. I suggest xdm (it can be added from Slackware).

I need to login/password automatically without hitting
Enter key.

That's not a problem. With xdm the username/password
is entered remotely.

Would this only allow me to run X and not a console? I have not used xdm.

Then use a nullmodem cable (dumb terminal

Instead of running xdm and logging in via Xterminal,
you could simply stick a dumb terminal on a COM port
and edit the getty lines in /etc/inittab to use that
port.

I have done this on a 486 (and lost my serial mouse - but this computer has a working PS/2 port). Two serial ports would let me use two terminals. I think there was a way to use X with one of them.

or telnet/ssh/dbclient)

Or, alternatively, you could run one of those servers
from system startup, and login remotely. And from
there you could optionally start an X session.

Put dropbear in rc?

I should not need a monitor on the server.
Is there any minimum hardware requirement to run X on an old laptop with BL, as a terminal? 8MB RAM okay?