baslinux - [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:16:22 +0000 (UTC)

My main computer (1.6GHz Tyan) stopped responding to the keyboard (PS/2 or USB) in linux. The keyboard works in DOS, and lets me hit the Enter key so I can boot linux via lilo or loadlin. DSL linux live CD (syslinux) worked once with the keyboard (PS/2 mouse did not respond) but the second time I booted it the keyboard was dead (mouse worked this time). I tried three keyboards and three ways of booting linux (not grub). I did not try Windows yet.

(I have an ECS board where the keyboard works in DOS, and in linux if booted with lilo but not with loadlin. An identical ECS board did not have this problem so obviously hardware is going bad in both boards).

Is it possible to use this computer with one or more laptops (no need for USB or cardbus) as (X) terminal(s)? I need to login/password automatically without hitting Enter key.

Then use a nullmodem cable (dumb terminal or telnet/ssh/dbclient) or a faster crossover network cable. That part is in the BL archives.

Sindi Keesan