baslinux - Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL without a keyboard (headless server)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:05:55 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Steven, can you explain the purposes and meaning of
-ac

Disables access control. It eliminates restrictions
on which client(s) is allowed access to the server.

Why do you disable it on the client rather than the server?

How can I specify that only a particular client (or only a client connected via cable) has access to the server, in order to increase security?

Is access via X more secure than running dropbear (ssh server)?

:0

That's the display number.
The phrase "display" is usually used to refer to collection of
monitors that share a common keyboard and pointer (mouse,
tablet, etc.). Most workstations tend to only have one key-
board, and therefore, only one display. Larger, multi-user sys-
tems, however, frequently have several displays so that more
than one person can be doing graphics work at once. To avoid
confusion, each display on a machine is assigned a display num-
ber (beginning at 0) when the X server for that display is
started. The display number must always be given in a display
name.

That explains why two other suggested methods of setting up did not work.
No default display?

Is the client running only X and the server icewm and rxvt?

Yes, that is the way I do it.

That is why 8MB should be enough memory on the client.
8712K used, 14272K free, 2720K shrd, 268K buff, 5752K cached.
(Including running top). Out of 24MB total. Is 8MB really enough if I use only X and one console?

I am now online using my oldest linux laptop, a high end Compaq 486 with 24MB memory and 640x480 8-bit color screen, and built-in trackball, networked to the desktop with the modem. wd90 graphics chip works in Xvesa with only 4 colors (2-bit) and does not support framebuffer. Opera 9 works in 8-bit color (but xv dithers better). Opera 6 works in mono.

With the proper modelines, this wd chip works with SVGA X server.
(See http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.wd)

startxt:

exec X -ac

Opera 9 is now working on the 486 but crowded at 640x480. F11 fullscreen still wastes space for icewm. Instead of

icewm &

type the line

opera &
(assuming opera is on the path not in its own directory - since mine is not installed, I made a script opera9 and used that instead).

Opera loads without the window manager. But the keyboard no longer works to enter a URL after typing F2. You can type on the http: line at top. You cannot just hit Enter to select Okay - first click with mouse to change the focus. (Opera works better with a wm).

The backspace only beeps. How do I make it work? Left arrow/delete does work.

The setup was a challenge.

First I transferred smc91c92_cs.o ethernet module.

This laptop does not have USB, CD-ROM, or working floppy drive.

I attempted parport cable and parport zip transfer but parport_pc won't insert. (This happens on other laptops).

To use a nullmodem cable I need to type ':' (lois:clark)
The :/; key is broken. In DOS I can type Alt-58 and Alt-59.
Is there a workaround in linux?

DOS llpro worked, as always.
We also have a CF pcmcia adaptor.
I could have downloaded the file via external modem. (pppd won't work with the pcmcia modem)