baslinux - Re: [BL] Future of BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Future of BL?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:35:06 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote

It was suggested that I use a newer distro for more recent hardware (1997
and beyond). For support of USB and cardbus wireless.

So I am trying the Puppy Live CD on any laptops with at least 48MB RAM
(because it won't run a graphical browser in less).

I have four other laptop computers with enough RAM to test with Puppy,
with USB and cardbus support.

Next on the list was the Compaq Prosignia 161 333Mhz, 192MB RAM, 4GB hard drive, 66MHz bus, 14" screen, 1024, ATI Rage LT Pro AGP 4MB. Xvesa not FB. Onboard mike and sound in general has a 'problem' in Win98 (OEM install). ESS Audiodrive 1869. ess18xx drivers in Puppy did not work. DSL did not correctly set it up either (and I see no manual way to approach this problem). BL won't boot nor will any other floppy disks.
There may be some hardware problem with the sound. This one has an onboard mike (nice for piano tuning if sound worked).

The Compaq Presario 1625 (300MHz overclocked to 400MHz) has ess solo1 1938 which is not on the Puppy sound driver list (ISA non-pnp). BL has the OSS esssolo1.o module. Sound worked in Puppy anyway (so did Xvesa and mouse).
(Dead mike port).

Puppy is not doing well with this age laptop. Video problem, mouse problem, sound problem, boot problem, one laptop worked out of five.

These two came with 64MB but took another 128MB. BL did not need it.

Puppy is probably usable on all but two of these five laptops (plug in an external mouse, don't use sound). BL works with the mouse.