baslinux - Re: [BL] Future of BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Future of BL?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:49:33 +0200

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
DSL does have ssh (but the menu only offers telnet, and the panel sshd).
It can be made to run Opera 8.52 in 32MB memory with a 48MB swap file.
Free shows 28MB real memory used before dialing and less than 1MB free.
(Plus 3MB used by the kernel). After dialing, 5MB of swap are used, with about 2MB free. It runs quite slowly because of needing to swap.
But I am now online with Opera and also ssh. And Xfbdev.

BL3 in 24MB RAM seems faster, on a laptop 2/5 the speed.

'RAM usage' on the desktop shows about half the actual usage. 7MB instead of 15. 16MB instead of 28MB. It gets swap correct.

It says my cpu usage is 0% with 29 processes (on desktop). Top disagrees.

I can chroot to DSL from BL but X will not load. Complains about no /proc. I cannot mount /proc - I get an error. Same error if I try to mount the floppy disk. I can attempt to use a cardbus wireless card without the GUI assistance.

DSL is buggy.

Someone is coming over this week with his 133Mhz Compaq (48MB but no cardbus or USB) to install a linux to 4GB IDE flash drive. He wants a modern browser (Firefox 2 from DSL), Irfanview (xv and zgv instead), Flash (forget it - flash wants 800MHz), Foxit pdf reader (xpdf) and other things he is used to in Windows. I will put on both BL and DSL for him and let him choose later. What do we do with the other 3.5GB?
48M is a good amount for DSL, and some older Slackwares. Try also Vector Linux. However Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 are most suitable for this computer

Samir.

Sindi Keesan