baslinux - [BL] wireless cardbus, was Re: opl3sa2 was Re: Future of BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] wireless cardbus, was Re: opl3sa2 was Re: Future of BL?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:55:48 +0000 (UTC)

Wireless cardbus continued:

DSL linux supports one wireless cardbus card. It has yenta_socket, which I
thought was needed for cardbus but it was not made when I compiled pcmcia.
It is not part of the standalone package, just kernel-based drivers.

Sourceforge pcmcia-cs README says it should work with kernels 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 to create standalone driver modules
pcmcia_core
ds
i82365 (which works with 16-bit PCMCIA and 32-bit cardbus cards)

Alternately, you can compile cardbus into the kernel, in which case you also get yenta_socket, needed for cardbus since this i82365 only does 16-bit.

DSL has yenta_socket so is using the compiled-in approach. Kernel 2.4.31.

I compiled all four modules as kernel modules, and they have different md5sums from the standalone modules.

The standalone modules are said not to work with USB cardbus cards.
(I don't know if they work with wireless cardbus cards, but I get the same problem with them all - cannot assign an IRQ - tried two laptops because Toshiba is said to be odd).

I therefore changed the 'start' script to insert these new modules (from a subdirectory) and added to config:

device "usb_cb" ... module "usbcore", "ehci-hcd"

instead of manfid use pci (get numbers swith cardctl ident).

yenta_socket will not insert. A few unresolved symbols, and I cannot find these error messages anywhere online. unresolved symbol dead_socket etc

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/pcmcia-kernel/
contains all four files compiled using my 2.4.31 kernel source (plus cb_enabler from the pcmcia package).

Even without a cardbus card in the slot, it should be possible to insmod these modules, with kernel 2.2. I would appreciate, Steven, if you could compile the kernel modules including cardbus (yenta_socket) for 2.2.26, and see if you can insmod yenta_socket in your Tecra (having set BIOS to support cardbus rather than 16-bit pcmcia). Insmod it just before or after i82365. It only requires changing a few lines of .config for kernel.
With make menuconfig I made three changes in order to compile the four modules. Since I am not using any modules in the pcmcia package for the USB cardbus card, I don't think I need to recompile the package again.
But could cardmgr need recompiling too? It is also in the package.

Click on:
General Setup
Support for hot-pluggable devices
PCMCIA/cardbus support

Select:
<M>PCMCIA/CardBus support
[*] CardBus support
[ ] Databook TCIC host bridge support
[ ] i82092 compatible bridge support
[*] i82365 compatible bridge support
(This should support both 16 and 32 bit cards - no idea
what the middle two drivers are for.)

The USB card ought to work in 2.2 with non-storage USB devices such as a USB mouse.

My aironet card no longer picks up the neighbor's weak signals. One of my cardbus cards can detect weaker signals.