baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 03:04:39 +0000 (UTC)

I extracted XFree86 and neo_drv.o to the proper locations and typed
XFree86 and got an error message about '"Rgbpath" is not a valid keyword'
and I need to reconfigure XF86Config (Steven's no-xvesa small version).

Xfree 4 uses /usr/X11R7/lib and bin, not X11R6.

DSL linux Xvesa does not work (I forget the details).
uclibc Xvesa and glibc 21 Xvesa segfault.
Puppy Linux Xvesa works and uses about 1/3 the RAM
of the Xorg savage server (18 instead of about 40M).
It has five additional dependencies, all glibc 2.3.
(Though Puppy uses Glibc 2.6).
I copied over the dependencies (symlinked) and
Xvesa to BL2 and typed Xvesa.

New errors. vm86 failed. This is some bug related
to S3 savage using vm86, whatever that is.

I had updated libX11 itself to make some other
program work (SJPhone?). Something else
(maybe the kernel) must need changing to make
the new Xvesa work with savage chips
(with PCI ID 5333 - svgalib module tells
you the number in dmesg).

If I really had to use Abiword on this laptop
I could boot from live CD puppy. Have not yet
managed to boot to it with loadlin but there
is a boot floppy that will find it if you install
to hard drive and add IDEHD to that partition.