baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:33:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Slackware 8.1 has XFree98 4.2.0 which no longer uses individual binary X
servers such as XF86_SVGA. (Though Xvesa and Xfbdev are still provided).

Instead, there is a universal binary XFree86 (still in /usr/X11R6/bin) and
a collection of driver modules which are supposed to work with any
operating system (hopefully also with any kernel so I won't need to
recompile to work with the kernels I compiled using gcc 2.95.3).
neomagic_drv.o and savage_drv.o, for instance.

The module is supposed to load automatically once you set up XF86Config
properly, using x86config, or the new tool xf86cfg, or XFree86
-configure. The first of these is difficult and time consuming to use and
I have not tried the other two methods. Steven's XF86Config (modified for
higher resolutions) has worked fine with XFree86 3.*

I extracted XFree86 and neo_drv.o to the proper locations and typed
XFree86 and got an error message about '"Rgbpath" is not a valid keyword'
and I need to reconfigure XF86Config (Steven's no-xvesa small version).
Steven, can you please investigate this matter and provide a small
XF86Config usable with XFree86 4, in order to support more older hardware?
The chip in question is now 10 years old (Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200
series, with 1024 resolution LCD).

I will attempt to use the new tools myself. xf86config and XFree86
-configure (after backing up the old XF86Config).

XFree86 -configure complains about a syntax error on line 756 of rgb.txt (this might be from Steven's no-xvesa package but maybe I have some other wrong version of it) and wants two more modules only one of which I can find. I am afraid to install the whole package because it will overwrite some Slackware 11 X libraries I already added. I can try copying over the entire modules directory but rgb.txt is still a problem.

xf86cfg wants libXaw.so.7, which I added, and then finds an
'undefined symbol XmuCvtGravityToString'
Is this some GUI configure program?

A BL4 based on Slackware 11 libraries would be helpful for dealing with 10 year old laptop hardware and more recent software, or at least an XF86Config that works with XFree86 4.0 (without Rgbpath) and a valid rgb.txt without syntax errors. When BL started back around 1999 my laptop was not yet made and now it is ancient hardware. My 1996-1998 laptops work with Xvesa or the SVGA server.

Xorg in Puppy Live CD works with this savage chip.