baslinux - [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Need help with XFree86 4.0 XF86Config, was Re: S3 Savage ms/ix driver needed
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:06:24 +0000 (UTC)

Slackware 8.1 has XFree98 4.2.0 which no longer uses individual binary X servers such as XF86_SVGA. (Though Xvesa and Xfbdev are still provided).

Instead, there is a universal binary XFree86 (still in /usr/X11R6/bin) and a collection of driver modules which are supposed to work with any operating system (hopefully also with any kernel so I won't need to recompile to work with the kernels I compiled using gcc 2.95.3).
neomagic_drv.o and savage_drv.o, for instance.

The module is supposed to load automatically once you set up XF86Config properly, using x86config, or the new tool xf86cfg, or XFree86 -configure. The first of these is difficult and time consuming to use and I have not tried the other two methods. Steven's XF86Config (modified for higher resolutions) has worked fine with XFree86 3.*

You need the 13MB base packages for xfree86-4.2.0. (I got it at the library using a wired network card - they have two rooms where you can plug into an ethernet port instead of using wireless, to get a faster and more stable download. A wireless download was corrupt).

Neo and Savage mx/ix do not work with Xvesa. Neomagic works with the SVGA driver but the Savage does not. Neomagic also works with svgalib neo driver. The Savage does not work with svgalib savage driver (at least not the version I compiled). Both work with Xfbdev server but Abiword does not work with Xfbdev. Framebuffer support is helpful on both laptops to get full-screen nice looking text and more of it.

Xfree86 3.* savage driver does not include Savage ms/ix.
XFree86 4.0.2 and later include the driver.

Therefore to use Abiword in BL2 I need to switch to this new XFree86.

I extracted XFree86 and neo_drv.o to the proper locations and typed XFree86 and got an error message about '"Rgbpath" is not a valid keyword'
and I need to reconfigure XF86Config (Steven's no-xvesa small version).
Steven, can you please investigate this matter and provide a small XF86Config usable with XFree86 4, in order to support more older hardware?
The chip in question is now 10 years old (Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 series, with 1024 resolution LCD).

I will attempt to use the new tools myself. xf86config and XFree86 -configure (after backing up the old XF86Config).