baslinux - Re: [BL] changing the keyboard configuration

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] changing the keyboard configuration
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:33:39 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

Take the insmod lines out of rc and insert the modules manually one at a
time. When do you get this message? After which module (driver)?

The messages are obtained after the load of gus.o module

That is probably the driver for the midi part of the card and you can do without it. Just don't insmod gus. Use timidity if you need to play midi files.

I don´t understand very well what do you mean, anycase as I got the cdrom
play music, for me is enough. I understand that the sound card is working
(or at least half working for music cds), for now, I don´t have any other
way to listen music in this computer.

It should work if you use the right programs to listen.
mplayer for mp3, ogg or wav, workbone for CDs

Are you trying to listen to streaming audio (online)? Download an mp3
file first, and listen to that. The "can't rewind stream" might mean the
download is going too fast. Use mplayer to play streaming mp3 files - it
includes a buffer.

I can´t, the computer is an isolated one since it has not ethernet card.
When I bought it, 1996, I had to buy an external modem to connect to the
phone line, in order to navigate internet, now I don´t have this external
modem. To the computer is was connected through a large 25 pins connector.

Serial port, a wider style. Will not work with ethernet cable.

Now I have a cable modem from my ISP provider and a broadband wireless and
dsl router to distribute internet to other computers at home. I asked
myself if it would be possible to connect the old pentium 133 MHz to
internet through a cable with a large connector of 25 pins in one extreme
and dsl cable in the other throug the broadband edimax router (or some other
kind of adapter as usb??)

If there is an empty expansion slot you can put in an ethernet card (ISA or PCI). Insert the proper driver(s) for that card. Then assign a number in the same range as your router, or type dhcp and the router should assign one automatically. You can put this new number in rc (ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.3 - if the router is 0.1, and another computer is 0.2, for example).

There are USB wireless cards that work with our older linux but I have not heard of wired ones that do.

Regards,

Clara