baslinux - Re: [BL] changing the keyboard configuration

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] changing the keyboard configuration
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:29:50 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, now i have working the spanish keyboard, the procedure has been the
following:
- copy file es.map in /usr/lib/kbd/keytables

Where did you get this file? Maybe it comes with kbd.tgz?

- install the file kbd.tgz downloaded from slackware 4.0/a8 (it was a bit
difficult to find)

You can search for it in the list of packages for Slackware. packages.txt?

-add in the /etc/rc file the line: /usr/bin/loadkeys
/usr/lib/kbd/keytables/es.map
and... voi-la!, i have the spanish configuration keyboard, thanks to your
advice.

Does this work for both console mode and X?

Respect to the sound card, i have downloaded the gus.o module and the
ad1848.0 module, (i have removed uart401.o and sb.o from rc file) i have put
the configuration io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3, and when the system boots i
obtain:
Sound: An Interwave audio chip detected but no DRAM
Sound: Unable to work with this card
GUS MAX found, but not compiled in

Take the insmod lines out of rc and insert the modules manually one at a time. When do you get this message? After which module (driver)? Maybe you can use the card without the gus module, and not play MIDI files (or use timidity to play the MIDI files).

If your card is like the older Creative Soundblaster AWE (advanced wave effect) sound cards, you need to add a memory stick (1MB or 4MB) to a slot on the card to play MIDI files using the gus module. The memory stick is used to store the sound bank that you load and use for playing MIDI files (recorded digitized sample sounds which the card's firmware modifies to produce different pitches for each instrument from the one sample sound). I compiled a program that the AWE cards used to load these samples (awesfx?) - see the archives. I have no idea how the GUS cards would do it, but you need the memory first. My SB cards take 30-pin SIMM but DRAM may refer to DIMM (72-pin). If you have a slot, how long is it?

I have tried with software mpg123 to play the /temp/test.mp3 and i cannot
listen anything in the speakers, also i obtain the following messages:
mpg123 :Can´t rewind stream by 1103 bits, by 301 bits, by 261 bits.¿¿??

Are you trying to listen to streaming audio (online)? Download an mp3 file first, and listen to that. The "can't rewind stream" might mean the download is going too fast. Use mplayer to play streaming mp3 files - it includes a buffer.

However, i have downloaded the program workbone, i have made the link
between hdb and cdrom and now i can listen to audio cds played by cdrom with
the headphones. So, the sound card is working, isn´t it?.

Yes, excellent work. You can probably also listen to .wav files.

I have tried the program mplayer but i cannot play audio cdrom with it, it

It is not designed for playing cdroms, just wav and ogg and mp3 and mp4 (DVDs). workbone is for cdrom, also I compiled a command line cd player (mcd? - cannot easily check now since I am using DOS and kermit online).

seems that i need a software named cdparanoia ( i tried
mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom cdda://1-4 but the system says cdda doesn´t
exist) , ¿is it true?. ¿Is there a version for slackware 4.0?.

I don't think you can use mplayer for cds.

Thanks for your patience and regards

Clara

There is no need to include all the previous messages in the thread because the archives are organized by thread. Just information directly relevant to what you are posting right now.

Your English is nearly perfect - but we usually capitalize 'I' and do not leave spaces to the right of , or ( or the left of )