baslinux - Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.15 was Re: SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.15 was Re: SIP phone
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:44:39 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, did you get Seamonkey working in BL
with glibc upgrade and the few missing dependencies?

I have not tried Seamonkey. Is there a precompiled
gtk1 version of the browser (without the composer,
mail, etc.). If so, what is the URL?

http://www.seamonkey-project.org

Download and releases. Linux GTK1 full installer 1.1.15.

It is the complete suite but is not much larger than the Navigator that you get from "Full Installer for Linux (x86)", which makes you download the whole thing then specify install options, which needs far more additional libraries such as LibXrender, libpangocairo, libcairo, LibXrandr, LibXinerama, libfontconfig, libXcursor, libXfixes, libpangoft2, libfreetype, libexpat....and GTK2. The latter installs to /usr/local/seamonkey. The GTK1 version unpackages to its own directory and can be run from there with wrapper script, in SW11 but not BL2 yet.

The included libraries need glibc2.3.2 but even after upgrading to that
and getting the other required libraries from Slackware, seamonkey would not load for me. A GDK warning about locale and nothing more.

I just downloaded the 4.5MB of glibc 2.3.6 solibs but seamonkey ought to work with 2.3.2 from Slackware 9.2 and I will wait to hear from you first before another library upgrade.

So I downloaded (at the library) the 35MB source code for Seamonkey, which expanded to 365MB of Mozilla files for Windows, Wince, OS/2, Beos, Mac, etc., including lots of bug reports and themes. Since I saw no instructions for compiling seamonkey in there (the README said to go to their website for build instructions - no space in the 365MB?) I gave up and deleted it all.

-------
I got the linux SJPhone software which also works fine in Slackware 11 and uses about 6MB memory when not actually phoning. Ideal for a laptop with BL. (The Windows Express Talk does work in Win98 but is hard to read with 256 colors - pastel on speckles).

In BL2, despite having ALL the dependencies, it won't load - error message

Undefined symbol: XkbSetPerClientControls

which may be related to a bug in older Qt. What file(s) is Qt in?
I found no libQt or libqt even in SW11. What do I need to upgrade?
-----

linphone source code requires a bunch of extra libraries, including Speex to use at dialup speeds.
----

Please let us know if/how you got Seamonkey working in BL2.

Edit, preferences, privacy, lets you turn off images and you can allow or block them for specific sites. Accept only images from originating server (less likely to be ads). Stop animation. Block unrequested popups. There is an adblock plugin. You can change fonts, colors (default is black on white), autocomplete, tab key navigation (off by default). You can ignore mail, address book, news, HTML editor and IRC (default is to don't start them when you load the browser).

The Windows version uses far less memory than Firefox 3. (18MB rather than 28MB). Can't compare Firefox 1.5 because it won't load now.