baslinux - [BL] unlocking ATA modem with BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] unlocking ATA modem with BL?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:38:29 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to set up VOIP using only BL.

Since I cannot get any softphones working with BL (yet - sjphone at least works with Slackware 11 and BL has the dependencies) I asked on the local freecycle for a hardware ATA modem or SPA, which is probably a small dedicated computer that plugs into your DSL modem or your router and you plug 1 or 2 phones into it. Got two offers, one of which probably only works with AT&T phone service, but the other is a Linksys 2012R 'sunrocket' which you can 'unlock' so it will work wtih all providers. I found 209 pages discussing how to do this with Windows and Apache, another site for OS X, and a shorter one involving linux but I don't have Apache webserver. Can I use httpd instead and if so how?

Plug device into broadband modem or router and computer into device (via crossover cable) and phone into device (phone cable).

I have removed some portions of the following instructions:

[6]Manually Unlocking the SPA-2102

[Get the .cfg.gz file from one of several mirrors using Opera.]

gzip -d linksys2102-sunrocket.cfg.gz

[Check the md5sum]

1. Connect your computer directly to the INTERNET port of your SPA. Some
users may need a [13]crossover cable
[or a hub?]

[Insert network modules]

2. Set your machine's IP address to 67.133.234.53
+ In linux, you can do this by issuing ifconfig ethX:1
67.133.234.53, where X is your interface number.

[machine = linux computer, should it be ifconfig eth0 167.133.234.53? - why the :1?.]

3. Install a webserver on your machine.
+ On linux, apache will work fine, but, remember to set the
mime-type to application/octet-stream.

[I forgot how to use busybox httpd. I keep getting 404s.]

Can mini_httpd set mime-type to application/octet stream? When I run mini_httpd in the directory containing this .cfg and access 192.168.0.1 with lynx, a download transfers it as text/plain, not application/octet stream.

Do I need some larger webserver instead? http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/apachealternatives.htm
Monkey HTTP Daemon has a mime.types file.
muhttpd supports MIME type based handlers.]

4. Create the directory /gms/linksys/SPA-2102/2102 in your web root.
+ In linux this is generally /var/www [maybe using Apache?]

[I can set mini_httpd to serve from there:
mini_httpd -C /etc/mini_httpd.config
with /etc/mini_httpd.config consisting of dir=/var/www
or it serves files from where it was started.]

5. Copy the file you downloaded to the directory you just created.
6. Rename the cfg file to <your mac address>.cfg , I.E. 000aaa11bb.cfg
all letters are lowercase, and, no dashes or
colons. + If you don't know how to get your mac address, check the
bottom of your SPA.
7. Type [23]http://67.133.234.53/gms/linksys/SPA-2102/2102 in your
computer browser. You should be able to see the
000xxxxxxxxx.cfg file you prepared.
8. Wait until the light stops blinking and is solid
9. Pick up the phone, and, dial ****
10. At the prompt, dial 723646#
11. When prompted for a password, dial 79309925#
12. Dial 1#
13. Dial 1
14. Hang up
15. Go to [24]http://192.168.0.1/admin/voice/advanced, and, login with the
credentials admin and qwe%zxc5 [ For this to
work you need to disconnect the device and plug it on the ETHERNET
side.]

Congrats! Your gizmo is unlocked! Take it to ViaTalk or Vonage and enjoy
your VoIP.

Now, you'll want to at LEAST disable provisioning.

[What is provisioning? It appears you can now use standard login and password to change settings.]

posted by dmolavi at [25]12:28 PM

http://gizmopasswords.blogspot.com/2007/08/unlocking-spa-2102-finally.html